The word Glory in the Bible, many times refer to the Character of God. When you see God’s Glory you are beholding His Character.
In these two Bible verses you can find the word Character;
Rom 5:4 NKJV; “and perseverance, character; and character, hope. “
Phl 2:22 NKJV; “But you know his proven character, that as a son with [his] father he served with me in the gospel.”
What does the Scripture tells us to do with our Character? We are to be transformed by the Holy Spirit into a Christ-like Character:
2Co 3:18 NKJV; “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
Where do we find that Glory is synonym with Character? Lets look into Exodus 33-34;
Exo 33:18-23 NKJV; “And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.” Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. “So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. “Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”
Exo 34:5-7; NKJV; “Now the LORD descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, “keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing [the guilty], visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation.”
If you follow this link you will find where in the NT the word Glory is mentioned:
Entries for the word Glory in the NKJV Bible
Below you find synonyms for Character; Glory; Honor, Name e t c.
What does Character mean?
- Individuality, personality
- Feature, trait, characteristic
- Nature, quality, disposition, mien, constitution, cast
- Name, reputation, repute
- Status, capacity
- Symbol, mark, sign, letter, figure, emblem
What does Glory mean?
- Praise, honor, distinction, renown, fame, eminence, celebrity
- Brilliance, splendor, magnificence, grandeur, resplendence, effulgence, pomp
- Exult, rejoice, triumph
What does Honor mean?
- Esteem, fame, glory, repute, reputation, credit
- Distinction, dignity
- Respect, reverence, homage, deference, veneration, consideration, distinction
- Privilege, favor
- Character, principle, uprightness, honesty, integrity, nobleness, probity
- Purity, chastity, virginity
- Revere, esteem, venerate, respect, reverence, adore, worship, hallow
Antonym: Abominate, dishonor, disrepute, discredit, indignity
What does Honorable mean?
- Upright, honest, noble, high minded, just, fair, trusty, trustworthy, true, virtuous
- Dignified, distinguished, noble, illustrious, great
- Creditable, reputable, estimable, right, proper, equitable
What does Name mean?
- Appellation, title, label, tag. designation, epithet
- Reputation, repute, character, credit
- Fame, repute, note, distinction, renown
- Call, title, entitle, dub, denominate,
- Specify, mention, indicate, designate, identity, nominate
What does Quality mean?
- Characteristic, attribute, property, character, feature, trait
- Nature, grade, kind, sort, description, status, rank, condition
- Excellence, superiority, standing
- Accomplishment, deed, feat, attainment
- Distinction, class
What does Holy means?
- Blessed, sacred, consecrated, hallowed, dedicated, (separated)
- Saintly, godly, divine, pious, devout, spiritual, pure
Antonym: Unholy, desecrated, impious, sinful, impure, corrupt, piacular
One Reply to “Other Biblical Words for Character & Glory”
When I do my Bible reading I look up the meaning of words. Gives the scriptures such depth and meaning. Thank you for your study. I have my Bible open to Exodus 33 and now will go do my study, also on this subject and am excited to see what nuggets of truth I can find. Blessings, Patty