– Is “Character Building” something a Christian should look into?
– Is it important to grow in moral character?
– What does it mean to be a Christian?
The word “Character” is not really mentioned in the Scriptures, but if you do a word study of “Glory” and “Name”, you will find that these words sometimes refer to Character, especially the word Glory. This is very interesting!
“But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 3:18 (KJV)2 Corinthians 3:18 (KJV)
Reading 2 Corinthians, we understand we are to grow in character (glory), in a Christ-like manner.
In God’s image (character) we were created but sin entered into mankind through the fall of Adam. Paul writes how the spirit and flesh are in constant battle with each other. (Gal 5:16-17)
Know this, what Jesus came to accomplish, that the plan of Salvation was a twofold mission:
1. Reveal GOD’S CHARACTER – to men
2. Restore GOD’S CHARACTER – in men